Clogged drains in the kitchen or bathroom are not anyone’s idea of fun. A clog can be a smelly, nasty mess that prevents you from using your sinks and showers/bathtubs. By staying on top of things, you can avoid these messy clogs. Just a tiny bit of maintenance can help prevent a potentially large problem, not to mention save you some serious money in the long run.
Tips and Tricks
- Only flush toilet paper - other paper products, wet wipes and cloth can cause drains to back up.
- Install sink strainers to catch food and soap particles and keep them out of your drains. Be sure to clean these regularly.
- Pour boiling water down the drain if it is running slowly. This will help clear any potential problem clogs, especially in the kitchen where oils and grease can solidify.
- Remove and clean sink stoppers every few months. Regular maintenance can prevent normal build-up from becoming a serious problem.
- Throw any leftover oil or grease from cooking in the trash.
- Use cold water when running your garbage disposal, and always run the water longer than the disposal.
- Every couple of weeks, fill each tub in your sink as full as it will allow and then allow it to drain. The volume and weight of the water will do a good job of flushing the drain line.
By taking a little time here and there to maintain your drains, you can help prevent any serious future clogs and headaches for yourself. A little bit of work goes a long way!
If you find that your kitchen or bathroom drains are clogged and need help, give CityWIDE Plumbing a call at 770-872-0867 or schedule service.